Most of the time, we order more Chinese food than we need. Yeah, we all have done it.
Now you don’t need to be guilty about ordering extra noodles or rice as we have got you the solution for storing Chinese food.
Yes, you followed our instructions for storing Chinese food; then the question arises: how long does Chinese food last in the fridge?
How long is Chinese Food good for?
The shelf-life of most types of Chinese food is about 3-4 days in a fridge. This will vary depending on the type of food, but typically rice and noodles will last for about the same amount of time.
Whenever you are done eating Chinese food, don’t keep the extra food at room temperature for more than 2 hours. Store it in the fridge or freezer.
How long does Chinese food last in the fridge?
Most people store Chinese food for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. But it can last up to 3-4 days if properly stored.
If you consume the food after this period, you risk getting food poisoning. Sometimes the taste, smell, or appearance doesn’t change at all, so predicting your Chinese food is stale or fresh to eat is impossible.
So on the safer side, try to finish it in this period.
How to properly store Chinese Food in the fridge?
While the shelf-life of Chinese food is relatively short in refrigerators. So you need to ensure you are storing it properly.
Here are some tips that can help you preserve your Chinese food:
- Store your food in airtight containers.
- Refrigerate the food within 2 hours of cooking it.
- Never store it in takeaway containers as they are not long-lasting.
- You can use cling wrap to wrap your food.
- Remember to try to reduce the air from the storage containers or wraps for better packaging.
If you want to store the Chinese food for more than 4-5 days then you must store it in the freezer.
How long does Chinese food last in the freezer?
The shelf life of Chinese food in the freezer is up to 2-3 months.
If the food is takeaway food, try to finish it in 1-2 months. But homemade Chinese food if stored correctly, can last up to 2-3 months.
How to properly freeze Chinese Food?
Talking about freezing food, here are two ways you can go with:
- Plastic/aluminum resealable containers – Plastic containers which are airtight and resealable are used in most houses to freeze food. They are the best when it comes to freezing but you can also try aluminum containers that offer scalability.
- Freezer-friendly plastic bags – The only problem with such plastic bags is that some are leaked and are no longer airtight. So it’s our responsibility to check the leaks and store them properly.
Here is a quick checklist for freezing Chinese food –
- Let the Chinese food come to your normal room temperature before freezing it.
- When you take away the food, freeze it quickly after eating it. You don’t know how long before the food was made in the restaurant.
- Avoid freezing an item that contains a lot of oil.
- If your home cooking a Chinese dish(chow mein or rice) for after use, then cook it halfway. Then it won’t be overcooked when reheating.
Now that you have frozen the Chinese food let’s see how to thaw/defrost it.
How do Thaw Chinese food?
Thaw or defrost Chinese food should be done slowly and gradually. If you do it quickly, there might be chances of bacteria growth.
The best way is to leave your frozen food in the fridge for a few hours and let the process happen slowly. If you thaw it in the oven, it can lead to bacteria growth and degrade the quality. No one would like that with Chinese food.
How to Reheat Chinese food?
As you have thawed the food for some hours in the fridge, it’s time to reheat it. You can do it in two ways:
- The best option is to reheat your food in a pan or skillet. First, pour some oil into the pan and let it warm. Now just toss the rice or chow mein in the pan. This will not cause overheating while the quality will be maintained.
- While reheating in the microwave, you must place your favorite Chinese food in a microwave-friendly bowl(ceramic bowls). If required, add some water to dry it out. If food is spilling out of the bowl, you can keep a ceramic plate above the bowl.
Now you need to smell and check the food. It has to go bad if it develops a foul odor. Do a taste test if the smell is okay.
If everything is fine, then the only thing left is to enjoy eating your Chinese food.
Chinese food lasts for a reasonable amount of time in the fridge and in the freezer. Just follow the above methods to properly store, freeze, thaw, and reheat the Chinese food.
Even after this, your food can go bad so at last, you need to perform a smell check and taste check. If it’s all good, then you can enjoy Chinese food.
Is it safe to eat leftover Chinese food?
Yes, it is entirely safe to eat leftover Chinese food if you have stored it properly in the fridge or freezer for the right period. Just do the smell check and taste check before consuming it.
How long does Chinese rice last in the fridge?
If stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, Chinese rice can last for 3-4 days within the cooking day.
Is 5-day-old Chinese food safe to eat?
There is no straight answer to this. You need to perform a smell check and taste check before consuming it to determine whether the Chinese food is still safe to eat or not.